On Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:52:59 PM UTC+4, Saad Malik wrote:
> Yes! I'd contribute to a Kickstarter campaign for enhancing ViM.
> * true async support in the core. Remove notions of updatetime since
> everything will be async

True asynchronous support is badly needed. But for compatibility with existing
plugins updatetime must not be removed.

> * remove backwards compatibility to Vi. I'm assuming that vi backwards
> compatibility is hard to maintain? At the very least make nocompatible the
> default

I do not remember when I have last seen bugs here related to 'cpoptions'. Thus
I assume it is not.

> * replace cryptic one letter options like coptions

Not replace, but rather add new interface for them.

> * integrate popular plugins into the core: syntastic, ctrlp, nerdtree, etc

Vim philosophy never contained “batteries included” like python does. If you
want them out-of-the-box you have to use things like janus and it is good.
Integrating them into the core will badly hit their competitors and I
definitely not willing to see ctrlp in the core since I use Command-T and saw
ctrlp source code.

> * ability to renumber buffer numbers. This enhancement alone I would pay for.

After I started using Command-T I nearly never use buffer numbers (except for
the plugins). And doing this will introduce a huge amount of bugs because
nearly *every* plugin that deals with buffers assumes that buffers cannot be
renumbered.

> * concept of window-local buffers and tab-local buffers

You can emulate it to some extent. I would rather request API for digging
deeper into vim core to emulate it to greater extent if you need. Never saw a
need for such a thing since switching buffers with Command-T is pretty fast.

> * similar to window location list, a window header list that sits on top of
> the window. Plugins like bufexplorer could show window local buffers in this
> header

Better to add events like WinMovePre/WinMovePost so that one can emulate
sticking to window anywhere he needs and not only to the top. Also note that as
quickfix window with locations list is mostly a regular window it can be moved
anywhere from the location it was opened (including moving to the other tab,
though it would render this window useless as far as I see).