On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 9:01 PM, Tony Mechelynck <
antoine.mechely...@gmail.com> wrote:

> IMHO that so-called Easy Vim is a little bit too easy compared with
> "real" Vim. Maybe the way kindergarten is easy compared to high
> school senior year. So I would advise you to graduate out of it as
> soon as you can. Try running vimtutor if you haven't yet, IMHO
> that's a pretty good hands-on tutorial to using Vim, a tutorial
> which doesn't eschew serious features.
>
> DISCLAIMER: All the latter paragraph is just my personal opinion;
> other people may think differently.

I agree completely and I'm the author of Cream!

Vim has its own logic. There's no better way to learn it than simply
trying it on its own terms. After a while, you can adapt yourself and
go deeper. Then Vim will do just about anything.

Evim sits on the fence. It does most things like Vim but basic
functions suggesting CUA. Frustrating. To learn Vim, you need to learn
basics the "Vim way." Everything else will make a lot of sense
afterwards. Tony's recommendation to run vimtutor and using it a week
is a great one.

I wrote Cream because I wanted an interface that didn't require *any*
knowledge of Vim. Ironically, I've learned a whole lot of Vim because
Cream is 1.5 Mb of Vimscript. The result is a standard CUA interface
devoid of any Vim one. That's better or worse depending on your
philosophy of understanding your tools, but at least it isn't caught
in the middle like Evim.

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect dancingpaper com ]
Cream for Vim  http://cream.SourceForge.net