2014-02-27 03:45, Tim Johnson skrev:
* Tim Johnson <t...@akwebsoft.com> [140226 16:44]:
* Adnan Zafar <adnanjza...@gmail.com> [140226 16:32]:
Hi Tim,

Just leave the file as it is or delete it. Plugin authors provide
files like that to provide information on GitHub pages for example. If
you're installing the plugin using Pathogen or Vundle or one of the
others, everything should be set up to just ignore it. If you're
installing manually, you can just delete the file.

   I was wondering if there were a built-in way to make a
   doc-compatible .txt file out of it. It sounds like there isn't.

   I wouldn't mind spending a little time "marking up" a README.md to
   make it doc-compatible. I think that there are adequate
   instructions in :h helptag
    Turns out that in a general case a README.md file can be
    converted to a doc .txt file in just a few minutes.

If you are writing the file yourself it can be marked up as
*both* Markdown and Vim halp without looking *too* strange when
rendered as either. You can see an example here:

<https://github.com/bpj/vim-ToggleKeymap/blob/master/doc/ToggleKeymap.txt>

It's a bit on the extreme side, and I'm afraid it looks just a
little more strange rendered as Vim help than as Markdown!

(Don't look at the code -- it's my first attempt ever at writing
a plugin and I'm sure I've overlooked a ton of things --
including making a SwEnglish translation error when naming it!)

I've been thinking of writing a Pandoc filter -- not knowing
Haskell and not being prepared to tackle the learning curve
writing a filter in Perl is at least feasible to me --
which produces Vim help format when using plain text as target
format. I might still do that -- especially since I'm apparently
not the only one who would find it useful!

It would just do three to five things:

1.  Enclose the text of headers which don't contain any whitespace
in asterisks, i.e. `# foo-bar` becomes `# *foo-bar*` with a vimhelp tag target, while `# foo bar` remains unchanged because of the period.

2.  Turn links like `[replace virtual characters](URL "vim:gr")`
    (i.e. where the title string matches `/^vim:(\S+)$/`) into
    `replace virtual characters (|gr|)`.

3.  Make sure the URLs of *other* non-local links actually show
    up in the output.

4.  Maybe recognise links to <http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net>
    and do the Right Think with them.

5.  Maybe enclosing emphasized text in curlies.
    (BIG maybe, but I abhor semantic loss!)

However the file in the link above would become fine Vim help
only with `$ pandoc -w plain ToggleKeymap.txt` if only I
change headers like `:SetKeymap` into `\*:SetKeymap\*`,
but 2. and/or 4. might still be desirable.

/bpj