On Sunday, June 8, 2014 3:54:56 PM UTC-5, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> On 08/06/14 21:16, Brett Stahlman wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>
> > I've read the section on upward search (:help file-searching), and believe I
>
> > understand how it's supposed to work. The example in the help works the way
>
> > expect on Linux, but not on Windows.
>

> > Specifically, I created the following set of files and directories to match
>
> > the example from the help:
>

> >     C:/Users/stahlmanb/tmp/u/user_x/work/release/test.c
>
> >     C:/Users/stahlmanb/tmp/u/user_x/include/test.h
>

> > Note: To make things work on Windows, I've simply replaced Linux `/' with
> > the
>
> > following Windows path: C:/Users/stahlmanb/tmp/
>

> > Then, within Vim...
>
> >     cd C:/Users/stahlmanb/tmp/u/user_x/work/release
>
> >     e test.c
>
> >     set path=include;C:/Users/stahlmanb/tmp/u/user_x
>

> > Hitting gf with the cursor positioned on test.h (inside test.c) produces...
>
> >     E447: Can't find file "test.h" in path
>

> > I recreated the same test on Linux, replacing...
>
> >     C:/Users/stahlmanb/tmp/
>
> > ...with...
>
> >     /home/stahlman/tmp/
>
> > ...and everything worked as expected: test.h was found in the
>
> > /home/stahlman/tmp/u/user_x/include directory.
>

> > Is there something I've missed that could explain the discrepancy, or is
> > this
>
> > a bug?
>

> > Thanks,
>
> >     Brett Stahlman
>

> In the 'path' option, a single dot means "the same directory as the
>
> file" and an empty item (two commas after each other) mean the current
>
> directory. Both are included in the default value. Also, that option is
>
> a _comma_-separated list, not a _semicolon_-separated list. See the
>
> example at the very end of the ":help 'path'" section, immediately
>
> before ":help 'preserveindent'".

Tony,
The semicolon is not meant to separate path entries: it's used to specify a
"stop directory" for upward search. See the 2nd example in "Upward search"
under file-searching in the help.

As for the default 'path' setting... I'm not sure how that's relevant to this
example, as I'm setting 'path' explicitly to a value that contains a single,
non-empty element, followed by a single stop directory.

Thanks,
Brett Stahlman