On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 4:24 PM, David Fishburn <dfishburn....@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Joydeep Chakrabarty <
> chalao.a...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Thanks for your interesting tips. I forgot to mention I am working on
>> Linux
>> Mint 64-bit laptop. So I just changed "iexplorer.exe" to firefox.
>> But when I used the tip - "nnoremap <silent> <C-F5> :if expand('%:p:h') !=
>> ""<CR>:! firefox %:p<CR>:endif<CR><CR>", it sent "firefox
>> /home/username/public_html/current_directory/program1.php" and it didn't
>> work. As I said in my earlier post I am using Php. So I have to sent
>> "http://localhost/current_directory/program1.php"; to firefox.
>> I could use ":!firefox http://localhost/current_directory/%";. But in that
>> case I have to write current_directory every time.
>> I need a general way to get the path from after localhost(= ~/public_html)
>> to filename.php ( = %).
>>

> You just have to use an extra substitution command (and probably an
> execute statement).
>
> I think this should work for you.
>
> nnoremap <silent> <C-F5> :if expand('%:p:h') != ""<CR>:exec ":! firefox "
> . substitute(expand('%:p'), '\/home\/username\/public_html', '
> http://localhost', '')<CR>:endif<CR>
>
> You can replace :exec with :echomsg and see what will happen.
>
> Dave

I found this blog post helpful.  It explains how to open a URL (or a local
file) from the command line on various systems:

http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/open-files-urls.html

This does not replace any of the vim-specific advice above, but it gives an
alternative to specifying "firefox" as the command to open a browser.

--
HTH
Benji Fisher