On Thursday 01 January 2015 10:24 PM, Ben Fritz wrote:
On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 9:49:09 AM UTC-6, chala...@gmail.com wrote:
Hello,

I want to write some PL/I programs on Vim. PL/I does not accept the first
column. Is there a way to disable the first column of the editor so that
the cursor does not appear there and first column will always be
unwritable?

Thanks.

Perhaps you could use the InsertCharPre autocmd event. You could check if the cursor is in the
first column, and if so, prepend a space character to v:char so that if you typed "a" in
the first column, " a" would be inserted instead. Is that the sort of thing you're
looking for?

Alternatively you could check if the character to insert is not " " and if so
set it empty, I think.

Yes, that might help. I'll look into InsertCharPre.

Thanks.