I see it with netrw153.

In autoload/netrw.vim, the NetrwLocalRm function takes a range, firstline to
lastline.  It loops through the range:

   let ctr = a:firstline
   while ctr <= a:lastline
    exe "NetrwKeepj ".ctr

This sets the cursor to the first non-blank character of the line, if the
'startofline' option is on (which is the default) and so the following call to
NetrwGetWord finds the word at the beginning of the line.

I imagine Dr Chip uses nostartofline.  If I set nosol in my .vimrc, the problem
does not occur.

Regards, John Little