Freshly installed Ubuntu 14.04 then built gvim 7.4 on it, I just discovered
that the colors gvim picked were all wrong for the predefined color names, like
the name "Green",See below:

http://bluegene8210.is-programmer.com/user_files/bluegene8210/Image/Screenshot%20from%202015-01-21%2010:14:26.png

Here I did

:runtime syntax/colortest.vim

within Gvim, then sampled the color using Gcolor2. For the color name "Green" I
would expect the RGB value 0-255-0, but here I got 0-128-0. Below is the
correct color on my last Ubuntu 12.04:

http://bluegene8210.is-programmer.com/user_files/bluegene8210/Image/Screenshot%20from%202015-01-21%2010:42:02.png

It's not just green color got messed with, likewise is many other colors.

I tried building gvim using the same source I used on 12.04, where the color is
right, but still no good.

I also checked /etc/X11/rgb.txt, it looks ok, neither did

:set background=dark

in gvim seems have any effect.

Recon my knowledge about the system level is very limited, please help, thanks.