On Friday, February 13, 2015 at 4:16:01 AM UTC-6, might1 wrote:
> At 2015-02-13 18:00:32,"might1" <mig...@126.com> wrote:
> > Right now, I just tried vim7.4 downloaded from www.vim.org.
>  According to your way, I tried in commanld line 'vim -u NONE -N
> test.txt'   and  'gvim -u NONE -N test.txt' to encrypt with blowfish
> method, both failed. The resulting files all growed to 113MB. Really
> strange! No error jumped out.
>
> Do you need I attach the resulting encrypted file whose size remains 113MB
> after max compression?

Actually, attaching the already encrypted file is pretty much useless.

I experimented some, with the attached toy input file (compressed with 7-zip to
avoid a huge attachment), and found that the issue seems to be related to
writing *new* files somehow.

If I create an encrypted output file as follows, everything works fine:

:e encrypt_in.txt
:saveas encrypt_blowfish2.txt
:X
password
password
:w

However, if I encrypt as follows, I see the E381 error repeated a bunch of
times, and Vim seems to hang if I quit that error and try the password again
and write, presumably creating that giant file the OP mentioned:

:r encrypt_in.txt
ggdd
:X
password
password
:w encrypt_blowfish2.txt

Oddly enough, this also fails:

:r encrypt_in.txt
ggdd
:w encrypt_blowfish2.txt
:X
password
password
:w

But this succeeds (after a really long time):

:r encrypt_in.txt
ggdd
:w encrypt_blowfish2.txt
:e
:X
password
password
:w

It seems to be related to encrypting the swapfile for the new file. This fails:

:set swapfile noundofile
:r encrypt_in.txt
ggdd
:X
password
password
:w encrypt_blowfish2.txt

But this succeeds:

:set noswapfile undofile
:r encrypt_in.txt
ggdd
:X
password
password
:w encrypt_blowfish2.txt

Using the following Vim version on Windows 7:

VIM - Vi IMproved 7.4 (2013 Aug 10, compiled Feb  4 2015 10:16:41)
MS-Windows 64-bit GUI version with OLE support
Included patches: 1-608
Compiled by {my user name}
Huge version with GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
+acl             +cryptv          +file_in_path    +listcmds
+persistent_undo +statusline      +visual
+arabic          +cscope          +find_in_path    +localmap        -postscript
     -sun_workshop    +visualextra
+autocmd         +cursorbind      +float           -lua             +printer
     +syntax          +viminfo
+balloon_eval    +cursorshape     +folding         +menu            +profile
     +tag_binary      +vreplace
+browse          +dialog_con_gui  -footer          +mksession       +python/dyn
     +tag_old_static  +wildignore
++builtin_terms  +diff            +gettext/dyn     +modify_fname    -python3
     -tag_any_white   +wildmenu
+byte_offset     +digraphs        -hangul_input    +mouse           +quickfix
     -tcl             +windows
+cindent         -directx         +iconv/dyn       +mouseshape      +reltime
     -tgetent         +writebackup
+clientserver    -dnd             +insert_expand   +multi_byte      +rightleft
     -termresponse    -xfontset
+clipboard       -ebcdic          +jumplist        +multi_lang      -ruby
     +textobjects     -xim
+cmdline_compl   +emacs_tags      +keymap          -mzscheme        +scrollbind
     +title           -xterm_save
+cmdline_hist    +eval            +langmap         +netbeans_intg   +signs
     +toolbar         +xpm_w32
+cmdline_info    +ex_extra        +libcall         +ole
+smartindent     +user_commands
+comments        +extra_search    +linebreak       +path_extra      -sniff
     +vertsplit
+conceal         +farsi           +lispindent      -perl
+startuptime     +virtualedit