I like the ctrl+a and ctrl+x shortcuts for increasing and decreasing
numbers, but I noticed
some peculiar behaviors with dashes (Vim 7.2). If I have a string
  data-2-4
When I go to the '2' and hit ctrl a, it seems to treats it as a negative
number, so incrementing it
results in data-1-4 (so apparently -2 became -1)
  But if I have the string
  data.2.4
Now, when I go to the '2' and hit ctrl a, the behavior is as expected,
result in data.3.4

Is there some flag to allow ctrl+a to always increment a number and not
treat the numbers as positive and negative values, and likewise for ctrl+x?

Thanks,
Ven