<tbod...@cisco.com>:

> Nikolai
>

> There appears to be a problem with coloring variables in vim with Ansible
> yaml files, at least to me
>

> Whenever an Ansible variable appears the first double-quote is *ignored * and
> the second takes effect in a way where everything until the next
> double-quote appears to be a part of the same string.

    ​msg="Backup failed with error {{ syncsync_result.stderr }}"

is a string

    '​msg="Backup failed with error {{ syncsync_result.stderr }}"'

: quotes are not special here, so they *must not* be highlighted as if
there was any quoted string. Error with second quote is there because
quoted strings as well as flow-style dictionaries are at the top level. If
you know how to make `{`, `}` or `"` in the string *not* highlighted (and
preferably without performance degradation) you are welcome, I will resend
your patch to Bram. I personally have no idea, main problem with plain
scalars like this string is that they may contain almost anything,
including some valid YAML code that will be parsed as a part of the string
by a YAML parser.

Note that in the second case `!=` and `0` also should not be highlighted:
`!` is not a tag and `… 0` is not an integer constant.

BTW, also CC the vim-dev or vim-use mailing list. I am not the proficient
syntax file author, somebody there may know better.