David Woodfall wrote:
Hi

Someone on the list gave me a way to stop spellchecker picking up on
uncapitalised words after an ellipsis, which I use in
~/.vim/ftplugin/tex.vim and it works great.

However, I found that the same thing in txt.vim doesn't work.

Any idea why this is not working?

These are the lines:

setl spell
syn match Ellipsis /[.][.][.]\s\+\l.*\>/ contains=@NoSpell transparent
syn match Ellipsis2 /[.][.][.]\n\s\+\l.*\>/ contains=@NoSpell
transparent
syn cluster Spell add=Ellipsis
syn cluster Spell add=Ellipsis2

I also put them in ~/.vim/plugin/settings but that doesn't seem to
work either.

OK I have found what the problem is, but haven't yet found a fix.

In my txt file I have a modeline:

% vim: syn=tex

If I take that out it works as expected, but I want to use tex syntax.

Any ideas? (Other than renaming my txt files to tex)

Actually, renaming doesn't work either. It seems that some things are
still spellchecked up the top of the document. If I put an ellipsis
near the end it's fine.

Stumped...

I'm sure there is a setting for how much of the buffer is checked, but
I haven't found it yet.

Spellchecking is specified on a syntax-region/syntax-match basis.  The
syntax-tex file has a lot of regions, and your Ellipsis match is not
contained in any of them; ie. it would apply only to wherever there is
no region/match in effect.

* approach#1: use the hilinks plugin
(http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#HILINKS) to identify
regions that you want modify contains lists:  ex. syn Ellipsis ...
containedin=texSectionZone
* approach#2: add your region to one or more of the clusters that
syntax/tex uses: ex. syn cluster texFoldGroup add=Ellipsis

Regards,
Chip Campbell

Thanks for reply. Hilinks tells me that it is a texSubSectionZone,
but using approach#2:

syn cluster texSubSectionGroup add=Ellipsis
syn cluster texSubSectionGroup add=Ellipsis2

has no effect.

Ok. Fixed now - I removed the settings from ftplugin and put them in
.vim/syntax/tex.vim

Thanks for the help.