Hi,
sometimes, switching colorschemes seems to "corrupt" some colors and I am
trying to figure out if there's a way around it.

For example, if I start Vim with syntax on and the default color scheme to
edit my vimrc, then `:hi vimCommand` outputs:

   vimCommand     xxx links to Statement

Now, suppose that I switch to a colorscheme that overrides vimCommand
(with something like `hi! vimCommand…`), then I switch back to default.
Say:

   :colo solarized8_dark
   :colo default

Now, `:hi vimCommand` outputs:

   vimCommand     xxx cleared

As far as I see, the original definition is not reinstated because
syntax/vim.vim uses `hi def` rather than simply `hi` (and there are good
reasons for that, I'm told).

Is there a mechanism to permit the definition from the first colorscheme
to be activated again (something like completely deleting some highlight
groups)?

Nicola