After a few tries I found something that looks a little bit strange to me: the
Insert mode meta keymapping actually works, *only if* you set at least one
mapping with the leading <Esc>.

Previously I tried my best to avoid mapping the <Esc> leading keys, although it
works, because it would introduce ambiguity and get Vim stuck when <Esc> was
pressed, but all the <M-...> mappings wouldn't work then, like they were all
ignored.

Now I've found this:

    inoremap <Esc>m    <nop>

with this key mapping in place, suddenly, all my <M-..> mappings in Insert mode
works!

But this mapping still introduces ambiguity to the Escape key, a dilemma ...