> On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 8:35 AM, Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov
> <zyx....@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Let's use an example: Suppose a plugin has a special mode for entering
>>> data (e.g. chemical formulas).  It would then map some keys, e.g. "a".
>>> If the user already has a mapping for "a" it needs to be restored when
>>> leaving the special mode.  If the user has mappings starting with "a" we
>>> would like to disable those, to avoid the timeout waiting for the next
>>> character.
>>>
>>> We do not want to disable mappings that don't interfere, to maximise the
>>> freedom for the user to use other mappings at the same time.

>>> This quickly gets complicated if we need to take into account all the
>>> possible modes a mapping can be used in.

>>> I don't see much use for this.  I can't think of a practical example how
>>> a plugin manipulates mappings it didn't create itself or even knows what
>>> they are for.
>>
>> Still Vim has :mkvimrc which does manipulate (dump) mappings from
>> third-party plugins. Also I need this functionality for some <expr>
>> mappings: if some condition is true (e.g. `>` is preceded by `-` (C,
>> completion) or transliteration mode was enabled, or transliteration
>> mode is enabled *and* character that does not start a new
>> transliteration sequence is a continuation of previous one) use plugin
>> mapping. If it is false, fall back to whatever was there previously,
>> including falling back to whatever mapping was there previously.
>>
>> Also check https://github.com/neovim/neovim/issues/6123, this is the
>> issue backing Neovim nvim_get_keymap() API function.
>>

>>> Another complication is that mappings can be added/removed by other
>>> mappings and by autocommands.
>>
>> I do not see how this complication is relevant to the discussion. I.e.
>> I do not see how this complication should affect usage or
>> implementation of both proposed changes.
>>

>>> Disabling and re-enabling mappings is definitely more efficient than
>>> removing and adding-back mappings.
>>
>> And it is also definitely both harder to implement and less flexible.
>
> Harder to implement, perhaps, but not necessarily less
> flexible. Though the discussion thus far has centered mostly
> on enable/disable functionality, there's nothing about the map
> handle interface that limits it to this. It could support
> query and execute functions, for instance. For cases in which
> you wish to keep the original behavior, but need to "wrap" it
> somehow, you could use the map handle to attach prolog/epilog
> callback functions to a map. Presumably, such callback
> functions (which could be either lambdas or funcrefs) would
> accept an argument that allowed them to obtain information
> about the original map, possibly even its exact lhs and rhs.
> The prolog callback would be even more useful if Vim provided
> a way (e.g., nonzero return) for it to abort the original map.

Enable, disable, query, execute plus two callbacks. *Four* functions
and two callbacks in place of just two simple functions, mostly using
the functionality that is already there. Five if you remember about
:mkvimrc and that somebody may want to replace that on top of new API:
query will need a mirror function for creating a mapping then.

This is going to introduce a big amount of bugs just to add the
flexibility which is naturally available through a much simpler
approach. Emulating everything you mention on top of current VimL
state plus mappings_dump()/mappings_load() / (mappings_clear()*) is
not going to make plugins considerably slower (as long as you can
operate on lists and use `map()`/`filter()`/etc: main VimL
optimization principle is “the less Ex commands the faster the code”)
and I do not see any other benefits, except for “with some handles
implementation it may be slightly easier to pinpoint third-party
plugins’ bugs”.

* Found an issue in my proposal: `:execute 'unmap'` would not be easy
or efficient to use, so additionally need either `mappings_clear({list
to clear})` or make `mappings_load()` unmap mappings when rhs key is
missing.

> Hmm... This may be overkill, but it might even be possible to
> support the idea of a "virtual map handle": i.e., a handle not
> to a specific map, but to a *set* of maps matching certain
> criteria: e.g., <buffer>, <expr>, maps matching a mode mask,
> maps starting with specific char(s), etc...  Once such a
> virtual handle had been obtained, a single call would suffice
> to enable/disable, or even attach callbacks to all maps in the
> set. Of course, some operations (e.g., execute) would be
> permitted only on non-virtual (single map) handles.

And this is just mappings_dump() + filter() with my approach without
any need to invent a new DSL to describe criterias (or not invent DSL,
but use VimL expressions which would be just as efficient as
filter()). If I got it right then plus some way to attach callbacks to
“new mapping defined” event to keep “callback attached” state.