On 08/03/2017 05:00 AM, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> On 02.08.17 17:45, Parag Bhatt [C] wrote:
>> I am looking for a quick way to change a word(cw?) with one
>> that was yanked (yw).  I do not want to enter insert mode,
>> and would like to do it in command mode.
>
> With the cursor on the start of the target word, dw"0P will do
> it.  I admit that I had to look at the output of :registers to
> find which one held the prior word. If used frequently, I'd be
> tempted to map it to e.g. Alt-R.
>
> Erik

I frequently use visual mode to select the word, then paste over
the selection from register 0.  Usually I don't want the
behavior of ``dw`` because that removes trailing spaces and I
typically have yanked only the replacement word (without
trailing spaces), so I select the word with ``ve`` and then
paste with ``"0P``.  Because it's a bit cumbersome to type the
``"0P``, I've mapped ``P`` in visual mode to put from register
0.  Here's the line from my .vimrc::

  " Put from most recent yank instead of scratch register.
  xnoremap P "0P

With the above mapping, I would press ``veP`` to replace the
word that starts under the cursor with the most recently yanked
word.  I find I use ``P`` in visual mode fairly often to replace
yanked lines or other pieces of text as well as just words.

Michael Henry