This is a great question.

To my mind, the short answer is learn regular, unconfigured vim first. Use
vimtutor (see :help vimtutor) to get started if you're really at zero and
have no idea even what to search for with :help.

To go deeper and really set yourself up for powerful configuration, it
helps to go a little deeper than vimtutor. I learned a lot by reading Practical
Vim <https://www.amazon.com/Practical-Vim-Edit-Speed-Thought/dp/1680501275> (by
Drew Neil of vimcasts.org) on the train on my way to work. Before that, I
was more or less just copying stuff without really understanding what it
did. The book was an amazing combination of depth and accessibility; I
gained a huge amount of knowledge without having to work all that hard.
(The real understanding comes in the practice of course, but the book does
a lot to set you up for that.)

A quick perusal of Mr. Neil's site yields at least one essay about the pros
and cons of customizing. Cutting to the end you'll find Mr. Neil seems to
agree you should learn vim itself:

In his classic essay, Seven habits of effective editing
> <http://www.moolenaar.net/habits.html>, Bram Moolenaar encourages us to
> invest time in sharpening the saw. Building your vimrc file and installing
> plugins are both ways of doing that, but it’s vital that you understand
> Vim’s baseline functionality before you build on top of it. First, learn to
> use the saw. Then sharpen it.

I’ve seen people customizing Vim in ways that blunt the saw. I’ve even seen
> people sharpening the wrong edge!
>
> There’s more to Vim’s core functionality than you may realize. In my book,
> Practical Vim, I demonstrate all of the essential features of stock Vim.
> Learn to use vanilla Vim well, then you’ll be in a position to decide which
> plugins are a help, and which are a hindrance.

John Passaro
(917) 678-8293
http://riemann-summary.blogspot.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/a-straight-john-at-last