On Mo, 06 Aug 2018, ruben...@my.liu.edu wrote:

> Why is it that X11 cut and paste has been broken for a couple of years
> now and that it is not being fixed.  It worked fine for 30 years.

What OS and desktop environment do you use?  Vim's use of the selection and the
clipboard didn't change at all, but in KDE I noticed a change in behaviour with
plasma 5, in that I often found the selection and the clipboard were different
and not what I wanted.  The clipboard "plasmoid" has a setting to synchronize
them, which works well with ASCII but can give problems otherwise due to
historic X11 brokenness.  Vim has many settings to cope with this, I suggest
you have a look at :help 'clipboard'.  So your change in behaviour might be in
X or a clipboard manager.  With Wayland coming I don't know what will happen.

Another source of trouble in recent years, if you use vim rather than gvim, is
"bracketed paste mode".  IMO vim has been on top of this, but the
implementations in various terminal emulators have had problems.  Many
emulators claim to emulate an xterm but how well varies.

Regards, John Little