On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 at 13:10, DwigtArmyOfChampions
<dwightarmyofchampi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am using Vim 7.4. I have a file /etc/vimrc, but when I vim a file and run
> the :scriptnames command, the very first file loaded is ~/.vimrc.
>
> On another Linux machine I also have Vim 7.4 installed, and when run the vim
> command and then run :scriptnames, that loads /etc/vimrc.
>
> Where is this loading order determined?

I have this is my help file:

                                                   system-vimrc
     b. For Unix, MS-DOS, MS-Windows, OS/2, VMS, Macintosh, RISC-OS and Amiga
        the system vimrc file is read for initializations.  The path of this
        file is shown with the ":version" command.  Mostly it's "$VIM/vimrc".
        Note that this file is ALWAYS read in 'compatible' mode, since the
        automatic resetting of 'compatible' is only done later.  Add a ":set
        nocp" command if you like.
        For the Macintosh the $VIMRUNTIME/macmap.vim is read.

          VIMINIT .vimrc _vimrc EXINIT .exrc _exrc $MYVIMRC

$ vim --version
[...]
   system vimrc file: "/usr/pkg/etc/vimrc"
     user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
 2nd user vimrc file: "~/.vim/vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
       defaults file: "$VIMRUNTIME/defaults.vim"
  fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/pkg/share/vim"

echo $VIM
/usr/pkg/share/vim

--
Ottavio Caruso