Hi,

recently an issue popped up opening PDF files from within gvim. I used this
configuration for years and it worked flawlessly. But recently something has
changed (in vim's behaviour, I guess).

I have several mappings that open external files (some blocking, some
non-blocking). And the non-blocking ones don't work any more in gvim. The
processes get killed immediately. Removing all the vim commands, it boils down
to the following examples (using xcalc as an example here):

" this works, it opens the calculator and upon closing the calculator gvim
" continues
:!xcalc

" this opens the calculator and immediately quits and returns to gvim, in the
" past it kept the process running
:!xcalc&

Did something change in vim regarding opening external processes? How can I
restore the old behaviour? Or more importantly: How can I open external
processes in a non-blocking way?

  Debian-testing
  VIM - Vi IMproved 8.2 (2019 Dec 12, compiled Mar 24 2020 03:21:40)
  Included patches: 1-439

Marco