On 4/14/2020 03:54, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
• Which Vim version, including major.minor.patch? (As of this writing,
the latest version is 8.2.577)

I was using 8.2.480 but I had been having the problem for a while, just hadn't been editing perl files so didn't worry about it.  Uninstalled 8.2.480 and installed 8.2 and that is what is in the post.  Uninstalled 8.2 and installed 8.2.577(64) and it is unusable from a terminal for a bunch of reasons.  gvim seems to be fine.  Uninstalled 8.2.577 and reinstalled 8.2.480 and now I don't have the problem any more.

I thought I had cleaned out all the left over files when I uninstalled 8.2.480 originally but maybe there was something I didn't get or maybe the later uninstallers are more thorough.

I'll deal with the 8.2.577 issues later.

• The Perl filetype-plugin ($VIMRUNTIME/ftplugin/perl.vim) hasn't
changed much recently AFAIK — the version on the master repository is
dated "Last Change:   2015-02-09" which I find weird.
• The function whose name starts with <SNR>6_ was defined in the 6th
script sourced in that particular run of Vim. Next time you get that
error, check the output of the :scriptnames command for the script
with the same number as the one following <SNR>. The function was
defined in that script with <SID> instead of <SNR>6_ at the start of
its name.
Will do.

I'm adding the address listed as "maintainer" of the Perl ftplugin as
a CC, let's hope someone is still listening at that address.

Best regards,
Tony.

Thanks Tony.  I hope I didn't put you on to a wild goose chase.

--

Knute Johnson