If the ideas offered so far don't fix the problem, then the problem may be with
SCSI terminators on the drive. (I've had that happen on two 40 MB drives
attached externally to a Classic!)  I replaced the terminators with ones from
20 MB drives I was no longer using, and those 40 MB drives have been working
fine ever since.  That was 5 or 6 years ago.

If your drive is like mine, then the terminators are three tiny "plugs" located
near one end of the circuit board on the bottom of the drive.  I replaced mine
using tweezers.

And, yes, it is more than okay to use a Zip drive on your Classic. You can even
make it bootable.  With more than one bootable Zip disks, you can have one for
System 6, one for System 7, one configured for Internet, etc.
--

Classic Macintosh Computing
http://www.mymacclassic.com