Power Macintosh
Apr 12, 2:00 am

Unfortunately with the advent of Mac OS X it is becoming increasingly
hard to locate software to allow older Macintosh computers to
operate.
I have a Power Macintosh 8500 upgraded to a 500 MHz G3 and currently
have it running Mac OS 9.1. I was interested in being able to play AVI
videos on the machine however I have no idea about how to go about it.
I believe Quicktime needs some sort of extension or CoDec, I just
don't know what the software would be called in order to try and
locate it.
Do any of you have experience with OS 9 and playing of AVI videos? Any
help would be appreciated.
-S

Gregg Eshelman
Apr 12, 2:25 am
Since Microsoft has pretty much abandoned Macintosh for non-Office
software, you have to go with 3rd party software to play non-Quicktime
videos.
AVI is like MOV in that it's a container file format which can hold
audio, video and subtitle streams in a wide variety of formats.
There's also two types of AVI, old and new. The old type is limited to
a maximum of 2 gigabytes. The new type is essentially unlimited in
size, except on a FAT16 or FAT32 volume it can only be up to 2 gig.
So to play AVI on a Mac a player app must both support the AVI
container format and must have codecs for the audio and video streams
in the AVI. If you want to display subtitles the player has to have
support for that too.
The three most common subtitle formats are SRT, SSA (Sub-Station
Alpha) and ASS (Advanced Sub-Station).
A couple of other container formats you may want to play are OGM (Ogg
Media) which usually has an OGG codec compressed audio stream, and MKV
(Matroska) which is sort of an advanced version of AVI. There's some
audio and video codecs that AVI isn't supposed to be able to contain
(but they've been shoehorned in and there are players that'll play the
files), Matroska can contain pretty much any sort of video and audio
streams.
What's become just about the most common video codec is Divx and its
open source clone Xvid. (Spelled backwards due to Xvid being reverse
engineered from Divx.)
For Windows the easiest solution is the CCCP, no not the Soviet Union,
the Combined Community Codec Pack, which also includes player
software.
I dunno of anything comparable for OS X.
P.S. Be happy IBM's weird OS/2 version of the AVI format never went
aywhere! There's an example AVI that came with OS/2 3.0 that I never
could get to play on anything but OS/2 3.0.

joshua macdonald
Apr 12, 2:53 am

ok as for this issue vlc media player always works ;-)
in regards,joshua macdonaldMacNova communicationsDartmouth
NS(902)401-1966
This e-mail is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
Any review, dissemination, copying, printing or other use of this e-
mail by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender
immediately and delete the material from any computer and/or device
that contains information from or about this email.

Scott Holder
Apr 12, 6:34 am