My LCIII's usually work fine without a PRAM battery, so the drive
issue might not be related to the lack of a PRAM battery!
Check the connection between the logic board and the hard drive; also,
see if the drive itself makes some noises as you turn the computer on
- if it is the original drive, it might not work properly anymore...

Try booting with the Disk Tools floppy (from the 7.1 installation, for
instance) and running Disk First Aid. If it detects the drive, it
could be a file corruption issue. If not, it might worse than that,
and your best bet is getting a new SCSI disk for your LC.

Good luck with that! ;)

MM