On Jun 13, 9:42 pm, "Ryan C. Underwood" <runde...@mail.win.org> wrote:
> I have an SE/30 that has been cleaned and had caps & battery replaced, and it
> boots and works fine -- except, when a floppy drive is plugged in.  In
> that case, I get a Simasi pattern.  The same drive works on another
> SE/30.  Wondering if I have a bad floppy chip, but has anyone else seen
> this?
>
> --
> Ryan C. Underwood
> runderwo(at)mail.win.org

If you have a voltmeter, I would hook it up to your 5V supply and see
if it drops significantly below 5V when the floppy drive is plugged in
and during the boot process.  Similarly for the 12V supply.

It could be that there's a short on the floppy drive, or it could just
be that your supply is already marginal (maybe only delivering 4.9V or
something) and the floppy drags it under the operating range of the
logic board.

Jeff Walther