I picked up an SE (M5011) recently.  When I turn the power on, the
screen lights up and I get the diskette icon with the question mark
that is apparently looking for a boot disk.  I have both a 20 Mb hard
drive and a floppy drive in the unit.  I hear no sound from the hard
drive at all, and when I put a boot disk in the drive, it just ejects
the drive a few seconds later with no real indication that it has
tried to read the diskette.  I get no error messages.

My first thought is that the problem is one common to both hard and
floppy drives.  A power supply problem was my first thought, but if it
were the 12V supply for the drives, I don't think the floppy would be
ejected from the floppy drive.  I assume that it is not the logic part
of the power supply, or I wouldn't get the blinking floppy icon with
question mark.  I'm beginning to suspect part of the logic on the
motherboard that is common to both floppy and hard drives, but I begin
to get lost in knowing enough to start.

Can someone more experienced give me some suggestions as to how to
proceed to diagnose the problem?  Most of the things that I've found
related to boot problems assume that the machine fails later in the
boot process than my machine does.