On Nov 5, 12:51 pm, Doug McNutt <dougl...@macnauchtan.com> wrote:

> It appears that the leaks, as opposed to explosions, allow acid to exit the
> aluminum case via the elastomeric plug that allows the two leads to get to
> the circuit board. Apparently a little bit of pressure permits leakage where
> aluminum or copper meats the plastic. High pressure due to electrical abuse
> will break the can at the the top, away from the circuit board, where scratch
> marks are deliberately  made for the purpose. In either case the capacitor
> fails as an electrical component.
>
> But it's the effect that the spilled acid has on the circuit board that I
> worry about. The electrically conductive acid can be seen for centimeters
> around the capacitors on a board if you look closely and that's why the
> washing machine is often a temporary solution without changing capacitors.
>
> Storing the circuit board upside down might allow acid to flow by gravity
> around the outside of the capacitor and possibly drip off the end far from
> the circuit board. But then it's also possible that surface tension would
> dominate and the circuit board would be affected anyway.
>
> I think I'll turn my collection of SE/30's over until I get aroundtuit.

I've taken to removing the old capacitors and spraying the board with
circuit board cleaner when I get "new" boards now.   I usually don't
have time to put new caps on right away, but at least this way I'm not
storing boards with leaking caps.  Unfortunately, there are several
boxes of boards and many full machines already in the attic with caps
still installed.   I need a roundtuit too.

Jeff Walther