On Mar 1, 2:37 pm, Britt Dodd <brittman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh!!! I know whats going on. Porgrams like FWB could password protect a
> volume. I did this before on accident and it seemed to operate similiarly to
> what you're describing, although im sure 9 other programs did things
> similiarly.

If your hard drive formatting utility was used to set up the drive
with a password, you're probably out of luck.   I don't recall ever
reading of ways to hack around that, although I have a vague memory
that there were some for the older password schemes -- then my memory
tells me that was for the old TI-59 mag strip cards...

Anyway, two things you can do...

If you can remember which hard drive formatting utility was used to
set up the drive, use that to "Initialize" or "Install Driver" on the
drive.   Do not format the drive.   When you're done the drive will
appear blank, but all (or most of) your old files should still be
there.  You can then use something like Norton Disk Doctor to recover
the contents.

You might also try a bootable Norton disk before initializing the
drive to see what it tells you.

Or, you can just use a formatting utility to format the drive.   This
will make the drive usable, but you'll lose the contents for sure.

Jeff Walther