On Jun 24, 8:31 am, Iamanamma <vsand...@neo.rr.com> wrote:

> > Of course, you might just have two bad power supplies.   You don't
> > have a IIcx, IIsi, IIvi, IIvx, C650, Q650, Q700, or PM7100 logic board
> > that you could use to test the power supply do you?

> I think you are probably right about the capacitors.  I replaced the
> PRAM battery, and it had a big fat zero effect, so  I took another
> look at the motherboard in full sunlight, and there is sticky brown
> gunk at the base of most of the caps.
>
> I have 3 IIsi's and a couple of 7100s,  I've never tested a power
> supply from one Mac model in another Mac model.  Is there anything
> special I should know, or is it simply "take old power supply out, put
> in the one to be tested?"

For the 7100s it is that simple.   The IIsi's use a different size of
power supply and it will not fit in the IIci case.  Nor will the IIci
supply fit in the IIsi case.   But the IIsi and IIci use the same
power supply connectors and arrangement of voltages.

So, if you use the IIsi, you must take the logic board and power
supply out of the case and set the power supply on the logic board
connector.  You may need to arrange some way to support the power
supply (put a book under one edge) to keep it stable atop the logic
board with the connectors mated.

I would first test the donor machine, to make sure that both
components are, in fact working.   Then you can use the logic board
and power supply from the donor machine to test the complementary
component in your machine-under-test.

When testing outside the case, I usually start with a logic board with
a bit of RAM installed.  Don't connect a storage device.    Connect a
monitor.  Definitely connect a speaker.   Possibly connect a keyboard,
but one can use the switch at the back of the logic board to turn the
machine on.

Power up and listen for the start up sound.  Watch the monitor for the
gray screen and then floppy emblem with question mark.    Rinse,
repeat.

Make sure you haven't set the logic board on a conductive surface...

Jeff Walther