On 07/25/2011 05:40 PM, Jim Howard wrote:
I had an original (1984) system floppy and tried booting up with that, knowing it was a dubious prospect. No go. The research I've done to this point suggests that the Performa 630CD came with its system disk on CD.

I wondered about a keyboard command on startup (like the old "rebuild the desktop" one), but as we haven't yet located the keyboard...

-Jas P. Howard

I had one new back in 1994, the OS (7.1.2P) did in fact come on a 630-specific restore CD. On the bright side, the 63x used an IDE drive so you should be able to plug the drive into pretty much any machine made between 1998 and 2008 and test it out.