On Jul 25, 8:44 pm, Zonebob <bob.j.cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to get some 800k disks and some data that's on my
> venerable Mac Plus (bought it new in 1987, 2.5M memory upgrade) into
> another computer, so I can run it on Mini vMac, to save wear on the
> Plus.
>
> To do this, I dug my PowerMac 6100 out of the basement and fired it
> up.  But it promptly died.
>
> I'm hoping to find a system on Ebay with the old Superdrive that can
> handle both 800k and 1.4M disks, to do this job.  Does anyone know
> where there's a list of all models with this drive, so I'll know what
> to bid on?

The 6100 probably just needs a new battery.   It is one of the models
which will not start up properly without a good 1/2AA battery
installed on the logic board.

It is also possible that the heat sink grease between the heat sink
and CPU has dried out, but if that were the case, the machine would
probably boot up, and run for a few seconds before going wonky.

Every Mac from the beginning through the Beige G3, except the Mac 128,
Mac 512, Mac 512KE, Mac Plus, early Mac SE, and Mac II, had a
superdrive floppy drive.    The Blue and White (Smurf) G3 and iMac is
when floppy drives stopped being included.   Any G3 or G4 or later
machine, except the Beige G3 will lack a floppy drive.

As Joshua suggested, something in a "pizza box" would be convenient.
That would be the LC, LC II, LC III, LC/Performa 475/476 or the Quadra
605.   The LC 475, LC 476, Performa 475, Performa 476 and Q605 are
essentially the same machine with slight differences in the case,
IIRC.

However, you may be able to get your 6100 working just by changing the
battery.

Jeff Walther