On Aug 11, 8:19 am, QuoVadis <eelcovanv...@home.nl> wrote:
> I had always thought one needed to swap ROMs to get at all 128MB RAM.
> Or was it the MODE32 extension that made all 128MB available?
>
> But, correct me if I'm wrong, swapping the ROM with that of a IIfx
> makes it true 32-bit, without having to load any extensions. Is that
> correct?

Correct.   One may install 128MB of RAM in the SE/30 but it will not
use more than 8 MB as system RAM as long as the machine is in 24 bit
addressing mode.   The ROM of the SE/30 does not support 32 bit
addressing, so one must either install the extension Mode 32, or swap
the ROM with a IIci, IIsi, or IIfx.   All the IIfx's had their ROM on
a SIMM, so that's the easiest to find.   Some rare (early?) IIsi's had
their ROM on a SIMM so there are some of those modules floating
around.

The IIci never had its ROM on a SIMM, but at least one has been built
using IIci code and it works.  I only mention the IIci because it's
the earliest machine with 32 bit clean ROMs (or did the IIfx predate
it?).

Jeff Walther