On Sep 16, 11:26 pm, GuyWithGuitars <countjim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm determined to find the most effective way to recap SM aluminum
> caps on these old Classic Mac logic boards.

I've laid out simple instructions on how to do this in this groups at
least a couple of times recently.

> I'd like to have a higher success rate, and I can't do it with a
> soldering iron.

Everyone else does it with soldering pencils, and you can too.
Really, you can.

> Basically, I'm replacing the stock bad aluminum caps (47's and 1uf) on
> portable Macs using standard radial electrolytics by bending the legs
> and soldering them in place on the old pads.

Replace the stock capacitors with surface mount tantalum capacitors.
It will be far far easier than trying to get legs/leads to stick to
surface mount pads.  The pads are not meant to support the physical
stress that leads will put on them.  Putting leaded parts on surface
mount pads is just asking for lifted/torn pads and traces.

> Any suggestions from experienced people would be greatly appreciated.

Replace the surface mount electrolytics with surface mount
tantalums.

Look up the instructions I've posted in these groups a couple of
times.  I'm pretty certain you were involved in one of threads in
which I did.

If you need more advice/ideas, look up soldering or capacitors over on
68kmla.net.  The topic has been discussed in detail over there, with
several different methods of capacitor removal discussed.

Jeff Walther