At 11:54 -0400 9/19/11, bigcl...@aol.com wrote:
>Virtually every single Yahoo group in existence has an identifier in the
>subject line before the message (and other entities follow that standard as
>well such as google groups)

That's one reason I detest Yahoo groups. Another is that Yahoo does not follow
the rules when it re-formats messages into quoted printable coding.

At 11:54 -0400 9/19/11, bigcl...@aol.com continued:
>What's wrong with an of these:
>
>1.  [Vintage Macs]
>2.  [Fix Macs]
>
>???

1) They use up useless space in the subject line. Some mail readers truncate
displays on the right when you do.

2) There is a better way.

3) Adding Re: or an equivalent in another language sometimes comes before the
[xx] and sometimes after and that messes up sorting operations.

At 11:54 -0400 9/19/11, bigcl...@aol.com continued:
>[I-S] Digest Number 14375
>[addoctor2001] Digest Number 36820
>[MYRLANDsMETHODs] Digest Number 2146
>[NathanHalePatriotsOfAmerica] Digest Number 3213

If you're into sorting mail messages you should not be using digest mode.

Your message as posted contained this header...
It's different and doesn't change for essentially all lists these days.  Filter
on it!

Your message also contained this...

You'll find a reference to that in this posting from me.  You can also use it
to collect messages relating to a thread. That is unless someone  hijacks a
thread by replying to a message and completely changing the subject.

And, by the way, your message was delivered in HTML format.  There were 39
<DIV> tags which is more than the number of paragraphs in your message. Why do
you do that???  It's far more offensive than adding those [xxx] names..

--
--> On the eighth day, about 6 kiloyears ago, the Lord realized that free will
would make man ask what existed before the Creation. So He installed a few