At 02:04 PM 01/11/2011, you wrote:
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 2:34 AM, Charles E. Fox <cf...@cogeco.ca> wrote:
> --      Many years ago when I did TV repairs we used to apply stuff called
> corona dope. Try Radio Shack.

Interesting suggestion.  I did a little more searching and read that
sometimes flyback transformers can crack from overheating or aging.
If the internal high voltage is creating a corona/plasma since it is
exposed to air, does it mean that my transformer is still OK?  I am
guessing if there was internal shorting, that the part would already
have gone bad.  Does the corona dope need to seep into the transformer
to fill voids or do I just need to seal the cracked surface of the
transformer?

Thanks,
tt

-- I haven't had occasion to use this stuff in fifty years, but don't think you will harm anything by applying it in the area where the corona is visable and letting it dry before powering up.

        Charlie Fox

Charles E. Fox
793 Argyle Rd. Windsor Ont.
519-254-4991  N8Y3j8