Perhaps I'm thinking the easy fix here:

I believe System 6 is not at all good with large drives. How large is
the partition created on the 2GB disk? Because if it says there's 2
million KB available, it's likely a 2GB partition. You can try, if you
haven't already, to format it in 4 or 5 partitions (being 500 or
400MB).

However, the 50MB disk remains illusive. I think Bob C has the answer,
backed by an official Apple publication:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA44647?viewlocale=en_US

These are the models of Macintosh that supply termination power. As
you can see, the Plus isn't listed.

I believe you need an external enclosure that provides termination
power (or maybe you just need to activate it).

Greetings,

Eelco.