On 09.01.2012 14:03, Dan wrote:
<snip>
And then there's the "new" technique of selling partially burned out
chips.  eg:  Fabricate a 4 core processor then, during testing,
discover that only 2 or 3 cores run at a particular speed.
Intentionally burn the other cores (disable 'em), and sell the thing
as a double or triple core...  Disgusting practice, IMO.  Gives a
whole new meaning to "crippleware".

- Dan.

This is hardly new. A 486SX was originally a 486 with a bad FPU section (though later I'm told they intentionally made some once the market was established). A 68LC040 was originally the same way, a 68040 with a bad FPU unit (and bugs to make the traps not work for emulated ones, even). I also seem to recall that 16mhz 486s were never supposed to exist, but Intel ended up with a batch of them and sold 'em to low-end computer makers.

I'm kind of split on the practices myself. If they're selling them for an appropriate discount, I don't see the harm in squeezing out as much as they can from a yield. So long as they can assure that the remaining working cores are fully functional and there isn't an increased failure rate, more power to them. It'd be a lot more shady if they were selling genuinely marginal chips, like Intel did with 386s marked "16-bit S/W Only" because of bugs in 32 bit modes.

Scott