At 05:26 -0700 7/12/12, dadof39 wrote:
>Correct, it's a SuperDrive.  I suspect it's simply not clean.  Would
>appreciate any advice.
>
>On Thursday, July 12, 2012 1:48:27 AM UTC-4, Dylan McDermond wrote:
>On Jul 11, 2012, at 9:44 PM, John Carmonne
><<mailto:carmo...@aol.com>carmo...@aol.com> wrote:
> > The Classic will only do an 800k disc as I remember
>Actually, the Classic has a "SuperDrive", so it will format 800 KB and 1.44 MB
>diskettes.

And that's a good reason why the name "Classic" shouldn't be used for a new
machine that looks like an older one.  Sigh. I wonder if Apple managed to
copyright it.

But what is the history of the disk you're trying to format? I have a few
hundred here that have failed just by sitting around. They just will not hold a
new bit. I'd love to know why but I do remember that NASA absolutely insisted
that telemetry tapes from sounding rockets be re-written to new media after ten
years of storage. I have been experimenting with a large permanent magnet on
the bad disks.  Some luck but I can't recommend it yet.

Try several disks before you blame the disk drive.

--
-->  The best programming tool is a soldering iron <--