OK...I've been working on replacing the capacitors on an LCII.  I made the
stupid decision to start with an LC (only have one) rather than an LCII (of
which I have 4).  Anyway...after half-damaging a few pads attempting to
de-solder, I've left that the LC to sit while I perfect the methods on an
LCII.

I used the crush/cut, remove, and de-solder the legs method, and it worked
well.  Then used some solder braid to clean up the pads.  91% rubbing
alcohol and q-tips to clean up minor capacitor gunk and flux I used in the
leg removal. Then I flowed some solder on the pads of a few...laid a
capacitor on top and attempted to hold/push it from the top with a small
flat screwdriver and re-flow it into place.  About the only thing I've
accomplished is getting really frustrated.  To start out with, the 10uf
original electrolytic replacements listed at
http://68kmla.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9
<http://68kmla.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19776> &t=19776 are the wrong
size...they are the size of the bigger 47uf's...not the smaller original
10uf's.  Of course I ordered enough to do all 4 LCII's, the LC, and an
LC475...anybody need about 40 of the bigger-sized ones?  :-(

Anyway...I got the 1uf in place...looks like it is firm, but not
pretty...seems to be cocked up slightly with the solder globbed underneath
(as best I can tell by looking through a loupe).  After lots of fussing and
cussing, I managed to get one of the 47's in place...one side I finally gave
up and held the iron down and flowed it into the side...which doesn't look
pretty, but seems to have worked.  Somehow managed to get a second in place,
and it actually looks good.  Trying the next one and I'm just getting mad.
It just doesn't seem to want to re-flow and set down into place.  I've tried
adding a little flux but doesn't seem to be doing much good.

Is there some other trick I'm missing?  Do I need to just sit it on the bare
pads and flow in solder from the side like you would for through-hole
components?  I'm really starting to hate surface-mount soldering...but maybe
I'm just doing something wrong...

Thanks,

Wesley

---