At 23:22 -0700 10/20/13, Mike Carpenter wrote:
>Could I tell if any of the caps are bad from a visual inspection or do I need
>to get a tester?

With good light and a lens look not at the capacitor but at the circuit board
below it. If you see any evidence of spotting by a liquid it's probably because
the capacitor has leaked acid.  Get it out of there.

Also the capacitor probably has a silvery metal top that has a couple of
crossed grooves visible at the top. The groves should be flat. If they are
blistered up it is because internal pressure has blown them up. The grooves are
there to prevent an explosion but if the have leaked at all or even just
bubbled up it's time to toss the capacitor.

The capacitors are typically used between ground and either the +12 or +5 volt
power sources and they are scattered around the circuit board to compensate for
resistance and inductance in the paths on the board.  Trying to measure one
while it's still soldered down you will connect your meter to several
capacitors at a time and wont get much information on the closest one.

--

--> A fair tax is one that you pay but I don't <--

---
"Vintage Macs" group.
to vintage-macs+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.