Indeed...PCI was getting going good in the mid 90's (Wikipedia says it was
created in June of 1992), and the LC dates to around 90-91 I think?  I was
going with the assumption that both ends must be terminated, and if
there's no selection for on-board termination, then it must be automatic.
I didn't realize that if the bus was short enough that you could get away
with only terminating one end.  I recall terminating resistors on old ISA
SCSI cards, but don't remember seeing any on PCI cards...guessing the
automatic termination must have started somewhere in that era...but as you
say, probably after the LC.

Thanks,

Wesley

> It may be worth remembering that for most of the original lifetime of 68k
> Macs, PCs did not even have PCI buses. This was an earlier era of
> computing
> than you may be thinking of, in terms of automatic termination. Selectable
> and pluggable termination was, however, commonly in use on both platforms.
>
> - Jonathan Morton

---
"Vintage Macs" group.
to vintage-macs+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.