________________________________
From: 'John Carmonne' via Vintage Macs <vintage-macs@googlegroups.com>

I have a Quadra 650 OS 7.5.5. I have used since 1993 daily, I know nothing
lasts forever so I need to create another 650 to replace this if it ever fails.
Its used to transfer CNC files to our Machining Centers it uses a custom
communication application that has to run on 7.5.5 or earlier. I have it
connected to a G3 iMac 600 via ethernet.
I can copy files back and forth with ease but when I try to get a copy of the
System Folder it keeps saying that files are in use and can't be copied>

I want the entire drive to make another machine. How can I do it? I did this
stuff many years ago but have forgottenĀ  a lot of the technical things.

My reply:

Not sure how you do your current backups but if you backup to an external SCSI
drive or if you have an external SCSI drive handy you can use Dantz's DiskFit
Direct for backup to it. It came bundled with Iomega's Zip 100 drive. It will
basically clone your drive. I still have a copy if you can't find it.

Or better yet you can download Redux 2.6.3(fat) at:
<http://mac-guild.org/software/utilities/file%20&%20folder%20utilities/>

I have used this Redux backup software for my business computer for many years
until November 2013 (when I retired) running a PowerMac 6100 backing up to an
external SCSI drive. I had no problem restoring data and system from a 68K Mac
to the "newer" PowerMac 6100. I may have had to do a clean install of the
system, I don't remember.

Whenever I needed to change drives in the PM6100 because of a drive problem or
for a larger drive upgrade there never were any problems restoring the data and
the operating system from the backup drive to the new drive using Redux.

If you are limited to using system 7.5.5 then I think the newest Mac's that it
will run on are the PCI Mac's; the 72, 73, 75, 85, 86, 95, 9600's among other
PCI Mac's. Redux (fat) should be able to restore to those computers.

Good luck -- glen

---
"Vintage Macs" group.
to vintage-macs+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.