On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 10:38:37 PM UTC-6, Scott Holder wrote:

>  Hey folks,
>
> Recently picked up an 18gb LVD SCSI drive from a Sun machine for my LC475.
> Already had an adapter kicking around, so I now have it adapted to the
> classic 50-pin SCSI. The problem is it only works when I have something
> terminated plugged into the external SCSI.

Most likely, your adapter does not provide termination.  SCA drives have no
on-board termination, so, in order to terminate your SCSI bus, you really
should have termination in the adapter.   The $2 - $5 adapters on Ebay and
Amazon do not have termination.   The least expensive SCA - 50 pin adapters
I've seen with termination are about $20, although OWC did have some for
~$10 for a while.  I think they're out, unless they restocked.

Ideally, the upper 8 pins on the SCA drive should be terminated as well
(SCA drives are wide), not just the 50 pins in use.

Jeff Walther

---
"Vintage Macs" group.
to vintage-macs+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.