well those miniscribe hard drives can be fickle.
i would assume you are trying to boot from it, and not the floppy drive.

try booting from a floppy disk.
then wipe the HD, ( erase )

and reinstall your os onto it.

also it wouldn't hurt to pull your mainblard out,
clean the layer of filth off it,  pop out your ram, clean the ram sockets.
if you have (4) one meg simms laying around pop those in, do not forget about
the Jumper or resistor depending on the rev of your mb. 256k / 1mb simms

or just pop the same ram back in, Either way pop your ram out , clean and pop
it back in.

Bourns filters are a big problem with these ( SE / SE30 )
One of the best way you can tell if your Bourns filter has gone is
when you boot up your os from the HD/zip,  When you get to the desktop
it will keep asking you if you want to initialize the disk in the drive.
but there is no floppy disk in the drive!!! haha.

a temporary solution is to disconnect your floppy drive from the mainboard,
until you can get that filter changed out.

Charles

Sent from the office of MacCaps.com

22222 ROETHEL DRIVE
SUITE F
NOVI, MICHIGAN 48375
UNITED STATES

Thanks.
Charles Phillips
248 325 8812

On Feb 6, 2015, at 12:14 PM, Dylan McDermond wrote:

>> On Feb 6, 2015, at 8:18 AM, 'Keith Jamison' via Vintage Macs
>> <vintage-macs@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>>

>> Can you tell us if your SE is original? That is, have the capacitors on the
>> Analog board and Digital (Logic) board ever been replaced?
>
> The SE used a couple of axial capacitors that don’t see too much leakage.
> They are not like the SE/30 and late with lots of aluminum electrolytic caps.
> Hardware Mac (Charles) can probably chime in here but I think more common
> problems are the Bourns filters and/or a bad SWIM chip.
>
> - Dylan
>
> --
> --
> -----