On 5/13/2015 11:08 AM, Daniel wrote:
Hi group,

Some time ago, i bought an Asante network card for my SE/30 (running
7.5.5 and equipped with 16mb ram and a 10.1 GB harddrive (using a Acard
7720u scsi bridge)). I installed the nic and setup the drivers from the
Asante driver disc that came with it.

When reading about the MAC having problems negotiating speed with modern
routers, i also bought a 10Base-T hub from Ebay. When i start the mac,
the lights on the hub (as well as downstream) indicate that there is
some kind of connection. Looking at the daughter card on the backside of
the mac, i can see one of them lighting up (the bottom one). The other
light never comes on.

Far as I know, no 10 megabit Ethernet hardware ever had auto configuration on the connection. Newer 100 megabit equipment does so you can use crossover or straight through cables interchangeably.

From the Mac to the 10 megabit hub you MUST use a straight through cable. Even if your 100 megabit router can reconfigure for a crossover cable, it may not be able to do so if what's on the other end is old 10 megabit equipment, so use a straight through cable there.

If the 100 meg router has a port for connecting to another router or hub, connect the 10 megabit hub to it.

Another way around old 10 megabit gear that doesn't properly identify itself is to use a 100 meg router with managed ports. Older ones have a RS232 port usually marked console. Newer ones can be logged into over Ethernet.

With those you can manually set the port the old Mac is connected to as 10 megabit, half duplex.

---

--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Vintage Macs" group.
to vintage-macs+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.