Hi Carol,
Well, the Laserwriter is a beast! Quite a few are still working in businesses, but you won't hear about it.

To determine the problem with the SE, you would need to remove the case cover and that requires a Torx screwdriver or bit (T-20, I think) that has a about an 8" shaft so it will reach all the way to the two screws at the top of the case. If, by chance, you should have such a tool then you could remove the case top and, without touching anything else (could be high voltage like a TV), turn off any lights and determine if there is a red glow in the rear end of the picture tube - that's near the connector. If there's a red glow, it probably means that the picture tube is OK. If the tube is OK, then probably you would need to replace the high voltage transformer (called a flyback transformer) and the component board on which it is mounted. The flyback is the one that has the thick wire attached to the middle of the picture tube.

The Imagewriter is probably good for parts or even fixable. The Laserwriter - I'm assuming it's the big heavy one - may work if none of the parts are corroded (moisture is not good for electronics and cable connections.) It's best to use a new cartridge. The laser should get cleaning and maintenance which is replacing a few old parts but if it does not turn on, then it may need a new power supply and those could be hard to get. Maintenance kits - should be able to get from the theprinterworks (google). When working, the big Laserwriter will draw about 900-1000Watts, so it's power hungry. The laser could be very dirty, so protect yourself and your clothing from the cartridge dust. If on your clothes, DO A COLD WATER WASH first. Heat sets the dust and would require many hot washes to remove, and could still have a stain.

Good luck. Shipping will be a pain unless you can get a local sale. Sell the software separately if you must - it's probably more valuable than the hardware - possibly except the laser. When working and in good condition, the laser is pure workhorse, more robust than any new laser on the market today and easier to repair. The weakest point is the power supply, not because it is weak, but they do break and it's hard to find a replacement (which has been cheap and easy) and possibly more difficult to fix. Beware of aftermarket parts, use OEM wherever possible. Maintenance kits usually did come with instructions; some careful work is required, but simple and easy (however messy) for those so inclined.

Hope that helps.
Jon