I understand that is the method Charles (Mr. MacCaps himself) uses with
good success...that's how I learned it.  I've done several that way with
no problems so far...one or two were at least medium-ugly from the leaks.
On the other hand, I pulled a pad loose on one fighting with it trying to
use the de-solder method.  If you don't like the grip & twist method, the
other route I've done that works (but is still more work) is using wire
cutters to cut them off at the base, then extract the remains...though I
worry a bit about that because the cutting process seems to pull upwards,
which may or may not be a problem...

Wesley