I'd figure out where the yellow HD power wire connects to the analog board
and visually inspect any filter caps (~1000+ uF) in the area. From the
googling I've done and images in the links below it doesn't look like it's
easy to trace without taking the board out of the chassis.

http://appletothecore.me/files/mac_tv_restoration.php
http://www.mactalk.com.au/62/119154-colour-classic-analog-board-repair.html
(This appears to be about the LC 5xx as well...)

The other option - if you don't have a known good HD to swap in as
discussed by Mack & Dylan - is to attach a voltmeter to the 12V rail and
see if it is stable when the HD tries to spin up. If it doesn't you'll see
the voltage dip a bit when the disk tries to go. It's easiest to see on and
analog VOM but a DMM should work as well.

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 6:05 PM, John-Robert La Porta <
johnrlapo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jon, thank you very much for that...I was unaware of how that works. DO
> you have any idea and/or way for me to actually trace down that line and
> associated components?
>
> On Thursday, December 29, 2016 at 5:54:28 PM UTC-5, Jonathan Morton wrote:
>>

>> > On 30 Dec, 2016, at 00:38, John-Robert La Porta <johnrl...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Anything that might cause the machine to work fine, but not power the
>> HD correctly to be able to spin up?
>>
>> HDD motors are normally powered from the 12V line.  In old computers
>> everything else of note is on the 5V or 3.3V lines.  It’s entirely
>> plausible for the 12V line to fail while the others still work.
>>
>>  - Jonathan Morton
>>
>> --
> --
> -----