Couple of things to consider…

- While surface mount (wet) electrolytic capacitors can fail just like their
thru-hole counterparts, ceramic and solid tantalum capacitors have a very low
failure rate and will likely run for decades without failure.

- NuBus on the Macintosh has some quirks to it.  While (for basic cards like
video) it is just about as plug-n-play as you can get, the BIOS keeps a record
in NVRAM as to which card is associated with which slot.  If you power down the
computer, move the card and then power up the system will act as if the card is
still in it’s original slot - But it is not and so the system cannot
communicate with it.  To move slots you must power down, remove the card, power
up, power down, insert the card in the new slot and then power up again.
During the power-up cycle with the card removed the BIOS will clear the
card-slot association in NVRAM.  I don’t know if this is the problem, but I can
see where the symptoms you describe could be caused by this.

- It is almost a certainty the card has an E-PROM on it with the code which
allows the card to be plug-n-play (it provides the necessary software for basic
operation).  Should the E-PROM get erased or become corrupted the card will be
unrecognized and will not work.  The E-Prom will be a thru-hole IC with a
little sticker over a small glass window.  The window is used to erase the
E-PROM with UV light.  These programmable devices (along with PROMs, PALs,
GALs, etc) can data valid for decades…  But these computers and cards are now
decades old.

- As to software, the card “should” work without any special software.  The
control panels which typically get installed simply allow access to “extra”
features like QuickDraw acceleration.

Best of luck,

Derek

> On May 25, 2017, at 3:27 PM, Adam Birnbaum <amichaelbirnb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Keep in mind, the SMD caps on expansion boards will eventually go bad just
> like the ones in PSUs and on motherboards do!
>
> On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 9:50:21 AM UTC-4, mossheart9 wrote:
> Hi Guys!
> You've helped me so much already, but I figured 3rd times a charm!
> My iici with clean install of 7.5 (no updates like 7.5.3 or anything like
> that) and 80 Mb ram and 500mb HD, 32k cache card (recapped), mother board is
> recapped. Powersupply is a delta (replaced the one that died.) no parity chip.
>
> I have a radius precision color 8-24x graphics card but when I plug it into
> the nubus slot and try to have the monitor plugged into it, the screen stays
> black.
>
> When I bought the iici from the original owner this radius card was in the
> iici. I reinstalled a clean OS before testing the card. (Boneheaded move on
> my part.) . I have to believe that this card used to work in this machine?
>
> I do not have software for it. (Although I have tried the radiusware 3.4.3
> for the thunderbolt which did not work) https://gona.mactar.hu/Radius/
>
> It's very possible I was not installing it right or that I am missing
> something. Or just don't know what I'm doing at all.
>
> Is there software for it?
> Is there a trick I don't know about?
> Is there a key I have to hold down at startup?
>
> You guys are the best!

---
"Vintage Macs" group.
to vintage-macs+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.