--- Jeff Garrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What are our chances we can find a nubus card that
> supports only one IDE
> drive designed for the 68040 class of Macs running
> that range from 20 to
> 40 Mhz.?
>
> Jeff

Pretty much nil. There are (or were) general purpose
IDE interface chips that needed an external interface
to the bus. Most of them today are all integrated and
can connect only to the PCI bus. If there is still a
source for the "standard" IDE chips someone would
have to design an IDE to NuBus interface and program
a ROM if you wanted to boot with it or use it with
extentions off. It could be done with just an
extention but that wouldn't allow booting or using the
drive with extentions off.

Its the same thing for USB, but I doubt there's ever
been a USB controller chip that _doesn't_ interface
directly to PCI. NuBus USB would require a NuBus<>PCI
bridge on the card. There may be a more general USB
chip used in the embedded systems field, but I haven't
checked that angle out.

=====
"The earth swarms with inhabitants. Why then should nature,
which is fruitful to an excess here, be so very barren in
the rest of the planets?" Bernard de Fontenelle, 1686
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
My ICQ# 16024947